Sunday, March 25, 2012

DIY Renovation: My Ugly House

A little over five years ago, my husband and I bought our first home. To say it was a fixer-upper is an understatement. The house had been flipped in the 70's, and some of the work wasn't done properly. Our home inspection didn't find any of the major mistakes (you aren't allowed to check behind the wood paneling after all). On top of that, the previous owners hadn't taken the best care of the house or yard. We had our work cut out for us, maybe a little more work than we expected.

We have been renovating the house one room at a time, hiring out some of the more difficult tasks, but doing most of the work ourselves. It definitely put a strain on our relationship at times. It was hard, frustrating work, but also very rewarding. Now we are almost done. There is one light fixture left to hang in the hallway, and I need to put a better closet system in my daughter's room. 

I'd like to take a look back and share a little of what we went through, the surprises we found, and of course our awesome before and after photos. Hopefully some of the work that we did can serve as inspiration for other people undertaking projects like this, and hopefully it will help boost the confidence of other women who are intimidated by power tools, like I used to be. If I can do it, so can you!  Since this will obviously take several posts to cover all of the projects, I'll start off with the before photos.  This little house didn't look like much, but it was truly a diamond in the rough. 

What will become a Bedroom

Sunroom


What will become a Bedroom

Small Bathroom

Master Bedroom

Living Room
What will become the Dining Room

What will become the Kitchen


What will become the Master Bathroom

No comments:

Post a Comment