Sunday, April 8, 2012

DIY Renovation: Bathroom Makeover Part 2

Putting it back together

Once we got the tile grouted and the trim caulked, it was time to paint. We primed and painted the walls with no problem, but when I started to paint the window trim (the only trim that was originally in the room) I noticed the paint that was already there was peeling up in places. It turns out that the window trim had been painted with oil based paint, and then later someone painted over it with latex paint.  That's a big no-no without using the right primer. 

My solution was to cover every inch on the trim with packing tape, and then rip it off, taking the top layer of latex paint off too. It was like waxing, but with paint. It worked pretty well, and I was able to prime the window trim with Zinsser 123 bullseye and finish up the room.  

Here are our after photos:

Bathrooms are one of the most expensive rooms to renovate.  We saved money by buying as much on clearance as we could, and not putting in that heated floor that my husband still reminds me to this day that he wanted.

Luckily for us (and not luckily for them), Linen-N-Things was going out of business when we started this project, so I had all of the decor under control for cheap. The tub, shower and sink faucets are in a finish that was being discontinued, antique pewter, so they were more than half off. It doesn't match the oil rubbed bronze that is in the rest of the house, but it looks cool. The sink and tall cabinet are from Ikea, also on sale. We had a coupon for a percentage off of our entire purchase at Lowes, so we bought all the tile and trim from there. I think the only thing we paid full price for was the mirror.

All in all, this was a probably the most difficult room in our renovation, but I think it turned out well, and it didn't break the bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment