Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Lawnmower Man

My husband decided that he doesn't want to cut the grass anymore. Fine by me. I have always told him that I don't care if he doesn't want to do his share of the chores, he just has to pay someone else to pick up the slack because I'm not going to. I realize that may not cast me in the best light, but one person can only do so much. Everyone needs time to relax and do things they enjoy (like print cards and write crafty blogs).

So my wonderful husband found a man on craigslist to do the work. He told me that someone would be by on Monday, but that's about all the info I got. I was thrilled, because at that point my yard was just embarrassing. Around noon on Monday, there was a knock at the door. A man with a lawn mower and leaf blower asked me "Did you need your grass cut?"  Why yes I do! I got him a cup of ice water and he got to work on the front yard.  After about an hour, I brought him another cup of water. We started chatting about work that needs to be done in the yard and making small talk, when he said "I haven't seen Ricky today." Ricky lives across the street from me, and spends his free time drinking beer in his driveway. I thought, "This is odd, how does this man know Ricky?" So I asked him if he worked in my neighborhood often. As it turns out, he lives a few blocks away.  "How funny" I said "that my husband found you on craigslist and you live so close."

Here's the funny part. He wasn't the guy that my husband hired. He had been cutting a yard in my neighborhood, and saw that my yard was a mess too. He stopped to ask if I wanted him to cut it, and I said yes. I thought this was hilarious, because what are the chances that someone would knock on my door asking to do yard work at the exact same time that someone was supposed to show up to do the yard work? My husband didn't find it quite as amusing. He had to try to get in touch the the man he hired before he got to our house and found someone else doing his job. Everything worked out as far as I'm concerned. My grass is cut, and I don't have to be ashamed anymore. For a few weeks at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment