Thursday, July 19, 2012

Sweet Dreams

So, I don't want to jinx anything, but my baby has slept all night long 3 out of the last 4 nights. As in, she didn't wake up at 5 a.m. to nurse. That's more than a fluke, right? Could I really be on the verge of having a regular sleep schedule again?

She has been "sleeping through the night" (i.e. 5-6 hours straight) for what seems like forever, but that 5-6 hours starts at 8:30 p.m., so that doesn't mean that I get to sleep through the night, since I can't seem to get out of the habit of going to bed at midnight. For the last 3 months, she has only been waking once around 5 a.m., and then sleeping until 8:30. Some people have criticized me for feeding her at 5 a.m. all this time, and have given me unsolicited advice on how to force her to sleep 12 hours straight. Sometimes I let her cry a little if she wakes up earlier, and she goes back to sleep, but if she cries for more than 5-10 minutes, I assume she is actually hungry and/or needs to be comforted to go back to sleep. Especially when she is having teething pain.

I am hoping that we have turned a new leaf. I have been walking around like a zombie for so long, I have forgotten what it feels like to be fully rested. Even though my wonderful husband lets me sleep in on the weekends when we don't have anything to do, lately it seems like we always have something to do in the mornings. I have been looking forward to this day for quite some time. Hopefully this is the real thing and not just 3 happy accidents.

No comments:

Post a Comment