Sunday, August 12, 2012

30 Days of Eating In: Week One


I started this week with a nearly empty pantry and refrigerator, which wasn't the best idea. I keep the freezer stocked up with meat and make-ahead meals, so I only really needed produce. Thankfully I had some frozen veggies to get us by until I had time to grocery shop.

I finally went to the store on Thursday (Day 5), and I also made a quick run through Costco since it is only a few blocks from the grocery store. I spent $65 at each store. $130 for the week isn't that great, but we are stocked up on several things we go through lots of (like cheerios).

Below is a list of what I cooked this week. I converted all of the recipes to be gluten free by substituting the flour with gluten free flour, using corn pasta instead of regular pasta, and I ate a brown rice tortilla on my chicken wrap. Brown rice tortillas smell like elmer's glue, by the way, but they taste fine. My daughter eats the same things as us for most meals, but has more snacks that I didn't include on this list. She usually has cheerios, pirate's booty, and/or goldfish crackers every day.


Day 1

Breakfast: Yogurt and pears 
Lunch:  Leftover BBQ
Dinner: Pork chops, roasted potatoes, spoon bread

Day 2

Breakfast: Grits
Lunch: Leftover Pork chops, roasted potatoes, spoon bread 

Day 3 

Breakfast: Gluten free banana bread*
Lunch: Leftover creamy ranch chicken
Dinner: Ham*, frozen veggies

Day 4

Breakfast: Yogurt and pears
Lunch: Ham sandwich (on Rudi's GF bread)
Dinner: Chicken and vegetable stir fry with rice

Day 5 

Breakfast: Gluten free banana bread*
Lunch: Leftover stir fry
Dinner: Fruit salad and spaghetti*
Snack: Cashews

Day 6 

Breakfast: Bananas and cereal
Lunch: Pimento cheese sandwich, yogurt 
Dinner: Fajita-ranch chicken wraps
Snack: Pirate's Booty

Day 7

Breakfast: Bacon and fruit salad
Lunch: Hot dogs
Dinner: Pork tenderloin, corn on the cob, asparagus


*Whenever possible, I double my recipes and freeze the extra. These foods were already cooked and in my freezer. 

In case you missed my post about challenging myself to not eat out for a month, you can read it here

No comments:

Post a Comment